Kathmandu, October 1: Gajur, a pinnacle or a spire, has been installed on top of newly-constructed Balgopaleswar temple in Ranipokhari amidst a religious ceremony today.
The Gajur was installed on Balgopaleswar temple in the middle of the historic pond which has been restored to its original form in Shikhar style as the then King Pratap Malla had constructed in 1670 AD.
The 6 feet 10 inches long Gajur is made of 123.7 kilograms of copper with 25 tolas (291.6 grams) of gold plating over it.
Gajurs have also been installed on domes situated in four corners of the pond. Each of these small Gajur weighs in 3.33 kilograms with 1.93 tolas of gold plating.
The Gajurs were made in 20 days by artisans while it took them five days to gold plate them. With the installation of Gajurs, the restoration of Balgopaleswar temple is almost complete.
Now the electrification and other beautification works around the pond is being carried out.
Though the Covid-19 pandemic had stalled the reconstruction works, the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA), which has been authorized to the restore the historic pond and temple, carried out its work by adopting all the necessary security measures.
NRA Executive Committee Member Dr. Chandra Bahadur Shrestha, Joint Secretary Bharat Prasad Aryal and CDE Dhruba Prasad Poudel were present during the religious function to install the Gajurs. Representatives of the Department of Archeology and construction company were present on the occasion besides some members of the local community.